Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My name is ***** ***** and I am trying to make a journal

Customer Question
entry for an s-corporation....
My name is ***** ***** and I am trying to make a journal entry for an s-corporation. The only things left on the balance sheet are $75,000.00 loan from shareholders and $10,000 capital stock
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There is no money left in the s-corporation
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/11/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 year ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

What's in your Retained Earnings or AAA account?

Was the current year income or loss closed to the Retained Earnings or AAA account?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My balance sheet at 12/31/14:Assets:
N/R $103,662Liabilities:
Loans from shareholder $183,526
Capital Stock $10,000
Retained Earnings ($89,864)2015 Activity:
N/R has been paid in full
Interest income on N/R $1,804So my journal entry to record that is:
N/R $103,662 Credit
Interest Income $1,804 Credit
Loan from shareholder $105,466 DebitThat will leave me with:
Loan from shareholder $78,060
Capital Stock $10000
Retained Earnings ($89,864)
Current Year Earnings $1,804My main concern is how to treat the loan from shareholder balance? Will that be income for the s-corporation?

You need to define the debits & credits.

If the loan from shareholder is a debit balance it is a Loan to the Shareholder.

So in the ending balance if the 78,060 is a credit balance, then the shareholder has a 78,060 receivable from the S-Corp which will offset the forgiveness income if the loan is cancelled as his 78,060 receivable will turn into an expense for him.

Is that what you are asking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Loan from shareholder $78,060 (credit balance)
Capital Stock $10000 (credit balance)
Retained Earnings ($89,864) (debit balance)
Current Year Earnings $1,804 (credit balance)

OK, so if the loan is cancelled, then the corp has income which is passed through to the shareholder & will offset his receivable (now an expense) from the corp as noted above.

Then everything closes out no problem.

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert