Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed taxes years under a sub-chapter S corporation, but

Customer Question
I filed taxes for five...
I filed taxes for five years under a sub-chapter S corporation, but they do not appear on my social security record. Unfortunately tha was during the early 1980's and I have destroyed my tax returns. Is there any way I can get a copy of those returns so I can give them to Social Security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/11/2016
Tax Professional: Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information you have received.

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that the IRS will have returns back to the 1980's. You can use the methods outlined on this link to see what the IRS can get you. In my experience, 6 years is the oldest return I have been able to track down from the IRS.

The reason your S-corp income doesn't show up with social security is because S-corp income is not credited towards Social Security. With an S-Corp you pay into Social Security by paying your self a W-2 wage, and the remaining income is free from Social Security tax and Medicare tax.

If there are additional questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between 3 and 5 stars so that I may receive credit for my work. Thanks for your business.

Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent