How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm helping my son prepare taxes. He didn't earn any income

Customer Question

I'm helping my son prepare taxes for 2013. He didn't earn any income and covered his living expenses through a 401(k) distribution (2012) and sale of personal assets. How should the sale of assets be reported?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If he sold personal assets that were in the nature of a "garage sell" meaning he sold items he had held for a long time and did not receive more for them than he paid, you are not required to report those at all.

In a garage sale, you generally sell household items you purchased over the years and used personally. If you paid more for the items than you sell them for, the sales are not reportable. Losses on personal use property are not deductible, either.

If his sales developed into a business and/or he had recurring sales and purchased items for resale with the intention of making a profit; he may have started an business. Then you report on Schedule C.

Related Tax Questions