How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15596
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a down syndrome daughter who will be 40 in May. She

Customer Question

i have a down syndrome daughter who will be 40 in May. She was drawing SSI since she was 18. She does not work at all. She lives at home with mom and stepdad. i retired last year. She now draws off my social security and $ 224 off the government. i claim her on my taxes but have never diclosed her money. Am I suppose to turn her money in on taxes. This is the first year I got anything saying what she drew?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


No, you are not required to include your daughters SS on your tax return.

The only thing that you would need to track is the amount provided for her support through these payments and the amount you provide for her support.

Even though the amount she receives is not taxable it is considered as provided by her for her support. You would need to provide more than that to be able to claim her as a dependent.

I will give you a worksheet that you can use that will make this easier. You do not file the worksheet with your return it is just for you to use to determine that you pay more for her support .

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you me to clarify