How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a disabled senior who does not make enough money to file

Customer Question

Im a disabled senior who does not make enough money to file each year. However my car was old and shot so I had to buy another one. It's used but I had to pay around 1800.00 sales tax here in Massachuettes. Not to mention every year I must pay over 100.00 just for the privilege of owning a car.
If I filed even though I don't have to, would it be to my advantage to get some of this money back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Anna. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Sales tax and car expenses can be used to reduce or eliminate taxable income or tax. But it will not generate a refund if you don't have taxable income or taxable liability or you are not required to file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's it? What about all the money I pay out of pocket for medications because I was in the "gap" period? It feels like I am always paying out what little money I get from SS but I can't get anything back? Last year when I entered the gap for meds I had to stop taking my prescriptions because I couldn't afford to pay over $500 out of my $800. SS check each month. And my car goes and I can't recoup any of that either?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but none of those expenses will generate additional refund. Those deductions, not refundable credits. You can use them to reduce your taxable income but not bellow zero. For instance, if you $2000 taxable income and you have $2500 of medical deductions or car taxes, you can use $2000 get your taxable income to 0. In that case if you had anything withheld, you get your withholding back. But you will not get more than what had been withheld (from your pension, retirement, social security). If you start with 0 taxable income, you can have $2500 of write off but there's nothing to use it against. Your taxable income is already 0. Any deductions are only useful if you have taxable income to use it against. Deduction is not a refund.