How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29575
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad been claming me my whole life, i recently got market

Customer Question

My dad been claming me my whole life, i recently got market place insurence, do i have to claim my self.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

That is not required.

Your father may continue to claim you as a dependent.

However - you should have form 1095A from your insurance company.

Please give that form to your father - and he will use it with the tax return preparation if he will claim you as a dependent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is i work.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Do you need help to determine if you qualified as a dependent?

Please let me know your age, if you are a student and how much income you received in 2015?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
21 as of 14th. No student
Ssi 6500
Did 2015 taxes already.What about 2016
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

SSI is NOT taxable income.

Your wages 2671 is less than $4000 - so you still may be your father's dependent if he provided support for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about im going to make more then 4000 for 2016
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $4000 for 2015

4.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.


But you mentioned that you are receiving SSI - correct?

If you are disabled - you might be a qualified child and different runes are used.

Related Tax Questions