Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My dad been claming me my whole life, i recently got market

Customer Question
place insurence, do i have...
My dad been claming me my whole life, i recently got market place insurence, do i have to claim my self.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/10/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

That is not required.

Your father may continue to claim you as a dependent.

However - you should have form 1095A from your insurance company.

Please give that form to your father - and he will use it with the tax return preparation if he will claim you as a dependent.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The thing is i work.

Do you need help to determine if you qualified as a dependent?

Please let me know your age, if you are a student and how much income you received in 2015?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
21 as of 14th. No student
Ssi 6500
Work2671
Did 2015 taxes already.What about 2016

SSI is NOT taxable income.

Your wages 2671 is less than $4000 - so you still may be your father's dependent if he provided support for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about im going to make more then 4000 for 2016

For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $4000 for 2015

4.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.

.

But you mentioned that you are receiving SSI - correct?

If you are disabled - you might be a qualified child and different runes are used.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor