How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her 6 year old son live in my house. She

Customer Question

My daughter and her 6 year old son live in my house. She pays everything for herself and son; food,clothing,events,etc. She files taxes under 'Head of Household'. Can I file under 'Head of Household', claiming her son, my grandson, as my qualifying child too?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


You would have to have a Qualifying person and you cannot use the same qualifying child as someone else.

Unfortunately you cannot claim your grandchild as your qualifying person.