How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gina CPA Your Own Question
Gina CPA
Gina CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 19
Experience:  CPA with 10 years of problem solving tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Gina CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a man is disabled and cannot work again, does he have to

Customer Question

If a man is disabled and cannot work again, does he have to pay capitol gains on a house Fema built him 5 yars ago? It was said if they lived in it and kept up taxesand Insurance thry could sell it and keep the money. Edna Detter, agent (###) ###-####ior***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Gina CPA replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Your sale qualifies for exclusion of $250,000 gain ($500,000 if married filing jointly) if the following is true:

  • You owned the home and used it as your main home during at least 2 of the last 5 years before the date of sale.

  • You did not acquire the home through a like-kind exchange (also known as a 1031 exchange), during the past 5 years.

  • You did not claim any exclusion for the sale of a home that occurred during a 2-year period ending on the date of the sale of the home, the gain from which you now want to exclude.

    So as long is the capital gain is less than $250,000 (if single) or $500,000 (if married) then no tax would need to be paid. You do however need to report the sale to the IRS on your tax form.

    Does that fully answer your question?

Expert:  Gina CPA replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just wanted to follow up to see if you had any additional questions? Thank you.