Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My father 89 years old, recuperating from a broken ankle,

Customer Question
has ssn, some investment income...
My father 89 years old, recuperating from a broken ankle, has ssn, some investment income, widowed. Wondering what his tax brackets are for personal income tax rates
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: does he have to file at that age is ultimately the question and if not at what level does it change ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/10/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 1 year ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

These are the tax brackets for Single taxpayers.

Single Filers - Taxable Income

$0 to $9,225 - 10%
$9,225 to $37,450 - 15%
$37,450 to $90,750- 25%

etc.

An 89 year old Single Individual would be entitled to a Standard Deduction of 7,550 & a personal exemption of 4,000., which means that unless he has income over $11,550. he isn't required to file a federal income tax return.

You didn't mention a state, so that issued isn't addressed.

Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert