How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7117
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father 89 years old, recuperating from a broken ankle,

Customer Question

My father 89 years old, recuperating from a broken ankle, has ssn, some investment income, widowed. Wondering what his tax brackets are for personal income tax rates
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: does he have to file at that age is ultimately the question and if not at what level does it change ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

These are the tax brackets for Single taxpayers.

Single Filers - Taxable Income

$0 to $9,225 - 10%
$9,225 to $37,450 - 15%
$37,450 to $90,750- 25%


An 89 year old Single Individual would be entitled to a Standard Deduction of 7,550 & a personal exemption of 4,000., which means that unless he has income over $11,550. he isn't required to file a federal income tax return.

You didn't mention a state, so that issued isn't addressed.