Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Commercial real estate purchased in 2010 for $600,000 Sold

Customer Question
in 2015 for $800,000 Bldg was...
Commercial real estate purchased in 2010 for $600,000 Sold in 2015 for $800,000
Bldg was depreciated SL 39 years $500,000 basis Is the depreciation recaptured as a 1250 gain at 25%
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/10/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

ONLY additional depreciation is recaptured for real estate assets.

If only depreciation claimed was SL depreciation - nothing is recaptured.

If you dispose of depreciable or amortizable property at a gain, you may have to treat all or part of the gain (even if otherwise nontaxable) as ordinary income.

Gain on the disposition of section 1250 property is treated as ordinary income to the extent of additional depreciation allowed or allowable on the property.

If you hold section 1250 property longer than 1 year, the additional depreciation is the actual depreciation adjustments that are more than the depreciation figured using the straight line method.

So when SL depreciation was used - there is NO additional depreciation and nothing to recapture for section 1250 assets.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor