Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a mixed use property in Chicago - zoned mixed use…

Customer Question
I have a mixed use...
I have a mixed use property in Chicago - zoned mixed use B1-2. My wife and I live in the appartment upstairs and have a store front that we use as basically a living space and office for our convention photography business. We currently write off half the building's expenses on our schedule C sole proprietorship.
Question: we are considering moving to Mesa, AZ and i large house. We would live in the house and use it for the same business purpose and not have a separate business location. Would we still have to pay cap gains on the sale of our Chicago mixewd us property? We bought years ago for $102k and have about $75k in improvements and the market value is about $500k to $600k. Is a 1031 exchange possible or are there any other ways we can avoid either the cap gains tax, or the depreciation recapture tax?
Thanks for your help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/8/2016
Tax Professional: Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi Michael:

The key requorement for a successful 1031 exchange is the acquisition of property that is considered like-kind by the IRS. I think it is probably not likely that a house would be like-kind to a mixed use property, even if the the way that you use it in your business is similar. You can request a private letter ruling from the IRS on this.

The portion of your property that is your primary residence would enjoy the $500k exemption on your gain, so you would only owe tax on depreciation recapture and capital gain for the business use portion.

Thankd for your help and fast reply Jason! Are there any other options to avoid the 50% gain on the business portion of the property or the recapture?
How do you do a "private letter inquiry"?
one more question... what if I stop using the property for business for two years and only live in the building? does that have any impact?

I can't think of any realistic ways to avoid the gain other than to buy another mixed use property and use the 1031 exchange rules.

A letter ruling is basically a request for the IRS to tell you how they would view a transaction, given a certain set of circumstances. The IRS website has instructions on how to submit one, but I would recommend that you retain someone who specializes in PLR requests to handle it for you. In my opinion, you have only a small chance of a favorable ruling.

If you stopped using the property for business, it would still be like-kind only to other mixed use property. Its classification is not dependent on how you use the property, but on what it actually is.

Thanks again for your help!

You are most welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you and don't forget to rate!

Just a friendly reminder- rating my answer to this question is how I get credit for answering it. Please take a moment to rate.