How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parent is disabled and receives 1099-SSA. i have the

Customer Question

my parent is disabled and receives 1099-SSA.
i have the parent setup in a nursing home.
can i claim him has a dependent and write off nursing home fees? and not report 1099ssa
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Your claiming your parent as dependent would mean that you are paying more for their living expenses than they are supplying through their SSA.

Normally SSA goes directly to the home except for about $30 dollars. Are you paying for their stay at the nursing home too?

If you are is it a higher amount than they receive from SSA?