How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15711
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a 1099-C cancellation of debt from a credit card

Customer Question

I received a 1099-C for a cancellation of debt from a credit card company. I am insolvent, and I read that there is an exception for this. How do I handle it on my tax return?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If you can use the insolvent exception you would need to complete Form 982. You were insolvent if your liabilities (the total amount of all debts) were more than the fair market value (FMV) of all of your assets immediately before the discharge.

You can only exclude the amount of debt equal to the extent that you were insolvent.

Example: During the tax year, you were released from your obligation to pay back a credit card debt in the amount of $5,000. At the time of the discharge, the Full Market Value (FMV) of all of your assets totaled $7,000 and your total liabilities totaled $10,000. Therefore, you were insolvent to the extent of $3,000 ($10,000 in liabilities minus $7,000 in FMV of assets).

You would report the $2000 on line 21 of your return and file the form 982 to show your reason for not including all.

If you can exclude all then you file the form 982 with your return and do not include any of the cancelled debt.