Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can guranteed payment reported on the 1125 Cost of Goods…

Customer Question
Can guranteed payment reported on...
Can guranteed payment reported on the 1125 Cost of Goods Sold?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/8/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Actually for the partnership - Guaranteed payments are treated differently compare to partnership distributions.

In simple words - Guaranteed payments are payments for services partners provided and not related to the partnership interest allocation.

On K1 - that amount is reported in box 4 - not box 1.

Guaranteed payments are those made by a partnership to a partner that are determined without regard to the partnership s income. A partnership treats guaranteed payments for services, or for the use of capital, as if they were made to a person who is not a partner. This treatment is for purposes of determining gross income and deductible business expenses only.

For other tax purposes, guaranteed payments are treated as a partner s distributive share of ordinary income. Guaranteed payments are not subject to income tax withholding.

The partnership generally deducts guaranteed payments on line 10 of Form 1065 as a business expense. They are also listed on Schedules K and K-1 of the partnership return. The individual partner reports guaranteed payments on Schedule E (Form 1040) as ordinary income, along with his or her distributive share of the partnership s other ordinary income.

Depending on circumstances - it is possible that all or some of guaranteed payments are NOT reported on line 10.

For instance - payments and credits that should be capitalized. For example, although payments or credits to a partner for services rendered in syndicating a partnership may be guaranteed payments, they aren't deductible on line 10. They are capital expenditures.

Another possible situation when guaranteed payments are included as a cost of labor and reported on 1125A line 3.

there is nothing to prohibit such treatment - but that option is not mentioned in instructions.

While there is no any tax benefits for including a part of guaranteed payments into COGS - You still may do that.

Questions?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney