Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I did not receive a 1099 from a client. I contacted them 3x…

Customer Question
I did not receive a...
I did not receive a 1099 from a client. I contacted them 3x to try and verify if I should have received one and would they please send it to me. How can I claim this income on my taxes? Can you explain in detail how I would report this on my taxes? Do I need to list who the payment was from? What if they never intend to send a 1099 and I claim income?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/7/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I assuming you are a self-employed person and received compensation fro services you provided - please verify if that assumption is correct?
If yes - you need to report that compensation on schedule C line 1 regardless if that payment is reported to the IRS on form 1099misc or not.

No need to list from whom payment was received - jut report the gross amount you received from ALL your clients if you have several.

The fact of reporting that payment on form 1099misc should NOT affect your tax preparation as long as that reporting is correct.

If you think reporting is not correct - or if they reporting more than you actually received - that woudl be an issue.

I work freelance and a fulltime job. This 1099 would be my only client. Can list amounts received on a schedule C without reporting who paid it to me?
I would rather not say who paid it to me.
It was a one time payment.

Can list amounts received on a schedule C without reporting who paid it to me?

On schedule C - you do not list who paid to you - you ONLY list the gross amount you received for freelance work you provided.

.

You will report your income and may deduct qualified expenses.- you may report all business income and expenses

-on the schedule C -

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

The net income (after deductions) will be reported on the form 1040 line 12 -

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

If the business has net income over $400, it may be required to file Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040se.pdf

and net self-employment income is subject to 15.3% self-employment tax.Self-employment taxes from schedule SE will go to the form 1040 line 57 -

Also - you will deduct half of self-employment taxes on the line 27.

Generally - that all you needs tax purposes - just verify possible deductions.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor