Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If the only asset of an estate is the sale of the personal…

Customer Question
If the only asset of...
If the only asset of an estate is the sale of the personal residence of the decedent. The sale was for $102,000, and the FMV of the home was for $102,000. Wouldn't that mean that there is no gross income of the estate?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/7/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - your assessment is correct - there is NO gain based on your information.

For inherited assets - there is so-called stepped basis equals to the fair market value at the time the decedent passed away.

That basis is used to calculate the gain or loss.

So - there is no gain,

but because there are some selling expenses - most likely - you will realize a small loss that may be used to reduce other taxable income.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor