How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29800
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Cashed in my 403b. Have minsters exemption from federal tax.

Customer Question

Cashed in my 403b. Have minsters exemption from federal tax. Had 20% tax taken out when I closed out 403b. Am I correct in thinking the 403b income was all contributed as I work as a pastor and would be exempt from the 20% federal tax with my exemption? If it is how do I file my return to get it back?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

There is no minsters exemption from federal INCOME tax.

Exemption if you have one ONLY applies to social security taxes.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

A minister who receives a housing allowance may exclude the allowance from gross income to the extent it is used to pay expenses in providing a home.

However all other income including 403b distribution is not excluded from income tax and is not excluded from withholding.

However - your actual tax liability is calculated on your tax return.

So - we need to consider all your income to find out if you will have any refund.