How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher Church Your Own Question
Christopher Church
Christopher Church,
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10
Experience:  director of accounting at cablevision
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Christopher Church is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died on June 2, 2014. I am the personal

Customer Question

My father died on June 2, 2014. I am the personal representative of his estate. I filed his final tax return for 2014. He received dividend and capital gain income in 2015 through his brokerage account under his social security number. How should I report the income on the estate's 2015 IRS Form 1041?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist.

The income was issued to the wrong ID number. Fixing it is pretty easy.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Just report it as if it was reported properly to the estate. In the description of the income, show the ID number that the forms were issued to in error.


Interest, Monopoly Bank (issued to 234-56-****) 20

That will give IRS the information they will need to match up the reporting.

IRS might still write, as the great computer might miss the description. Send IRS a copy of the page in which you reported the income on the 1041, and this will likely go away.

IRS won't ask unless enough income was reported to your father's social security number to require a tax filing or payment. For small amounts, reporting on the 1041 as I suggested will likely be the end of it.

You could try the hard way to get revised 1099s issued, but this is not worth the time you'll spend. My suggested 'workaround' will be the fastest way to report.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback, rating my assistance, closes out your question and credits me with assisting. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  Christopher Church replied 1 year ago.

If a replacement 1099 is needed, the easiest and fastest way to obtain one is through your online, personal pin and password ***** my Social Security account. Once logged on to your personal account, select the “Replacement Documents” tab and request a replacement.

A replacement 1099 can also be obtained from your local Social Security office or by calling the SSA national toll-free number, 1-***-***-****, TTY 1-***-***-****.

I hope this helps, please be sure to rate my service. Thank you

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. PDtax here.

I think your question concerned an error in 1099 receipt, not how to get s replacement social security 1099.

Please advise if you need anything further.

Expert:  Christopher Church replied 1 year ago.

My response was meant for another post, my apologies