Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My father died on June 2, 2014. I am the personal

Customer Question
My father died on June...
My father died on June 2, 2014. I am the personal representative of his estate. I filed his final tax return for 2014. He received dividend and capital gain income in 2015 through his brokerage account under his social security number. How should I report the income on the estate's 2015 IRS Form 1041?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/6/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist.

The income was issued to the wrong ID number. Fixing it is pretty easy.

Just report it as if it was reported properly to the estate. In the description of the income, show the ID number that the forms were issued to in error.

Example:

Interest, Monopoly Bank (issued to 234-56-****) 20

That will give IRS the information they will need to match up the reporting.

IRS might still write, as the great computer might miss the description. Send IRS a copy of the page in which you reported the income on the 1041, and this will likely go away.

IRS won't ask unless enough income was reported to your father's social security number to require a tax filing or payment. For small amounts, reporting on the 1041 as I suggested will likely be the end of it.

You could try the hard way to get revised 1099s issued, but this is not worth the time you'll spend. My suggested 'workaround' will be the fastest way to report.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback, rating my assistance, closes out your question and credits me with assisting. I'm PDtax.

Tax Professional: Christopher Church,
 replied 2 years ago
Christopher Church

If a replacement 1099 is needed, the easiest and fastest way to obtain one is through your online, personal pin and password ***** my Social Security account. Once logged on to your personal account, select the “Replacement Documents” tab and request a replacement.

A replacement 1099 can also be obtained from your local Social Security office or by calling the SSA national toll-free number, 1-***-***-****, TTY 1-***-***-****.

I hope this helps, please be sure to rate my service. Thank you

Hi again. PDtax here.

I think your question concerned an error in 1099 receipt, not how to get s replacement social security 1099.

Please advise if you need anything further.

Tax Professional: Christopher Church,
 replied 2 years ago

My response was meant for another post, my apologies