How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15739
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got married this year. Wife came here from WA - state with

Customer Question

Got married this year. Wife came here from WA - state with no state income tax. She arrived here on 6/5/2016 I live in Mi. Does she have to file state taxes here in Mi?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Yes, if she worked in MI after arriving then she is taxed on her income from June till Dec.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She did not work, she is retired. But she did work in WA for 4 months before coming here. Does she need to file in WA?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

No income tax in Washington State. Washington State does not have a personal or corporate income tax.

You mentioned she is retired. If she gets a pension then the amount she drew since coming to MI is taxable in MI.

When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need more information