Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Got married this year. Wife came here from WA - state with…

Customer Question
Got married this year. Wife...
Got married this year. Wife came here from WA - state with no state income tax. She arrived here on 6/5/2016 I live in Mi. Does she have to file state taxes here in Mi?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Yes, if she worked in MI after arriving then she is taxed on her income from June till Dec.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

She did not work, she is retired. But she did work in WA for 4 months before coming here. Does she need to file in WA?

No income tax in Washington State. Washington State does not have a personal or corporate income tax.

You mentioned she is retired. If she gets a pension then the amount she drew since coming to MI is taxable in MI.

When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Please let me know if you need more information