How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29975
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a tax professional or accountant to help me answer

Customer Question

I need a tax professional or accountant to help me answer this, I had sold a stock position, that was held from 1989 (it was joint between my parents and me, the amount(gain) is approximately $7000, that is totally Indian account, I also did another small sale of mutual fund approximately $700, when going through q & a in turbo tax it seemed like I did not have to report this income as it was less than a particular amount. Indian bank does not report like US yet and they are totally indian accounts with no US connections. What should I do report it ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you are US person - you are required to report all your worldwide income - regardless if it was reported to the IRS or not.
Income is realized when securities are sold.
So if you sold shares - income is realized and should be reported.
Sale transactions are reported on form 8949 and gain is calculated there.

Then results are combined and transferred to schedule D and eventually to form 1040 line 13.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Regarding your joint account with your parents - we need to verify who owns shares - if these are owned by your parents - you do not need to report - but if owned by you - reporting is required.

In additional - you might be subject to FBAR and/or FATCA reporting requirements - there is no tax liability related to that reporting.

See some additional information here


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.