Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son turned 26 on February 16 2015 and he was covered

Customer Question
under my health insurance policy...
My son turned 26 on February 16 2015 and he was covered under my health insurance policy until that date. He has his own health coverage as shown on form 1095A from April 1st through the remainder of the year. He tried enrolling in the marketplace but they could not ID him and it took 6 weeks to resolve. So in effect he does not show coverage for 6 weeks in 2015. How do I reflect this on his tax form. If I only use the 1095A form it does not reflect the coverage he had for the first 6 weeks of the year under my policy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/5/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Q: How do I reflect this on his tax form. If I only use the 1095A form it does not reflect the coverage he had for the first 6 weeks of the year under my policy?

A: If a person is not covered under insurance for not more than 2 months, they can claim the short coverage gap extension. You can claim this exemption for your son on Form 8965. SEE BELOW:

Under ObamaCare, you are allowed one short coverage gap exemption which covers less than three months in a row without coverage each year. In other words you are exempt for two full months, but need to have coverage for at least one day of the third month.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-coverage-gap-exemption/

Link to Form 8965:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8965.pdf

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, please be so kind as to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant