Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Household includes: Myself (FT student) Husband (FT

Customer Question
Household includes: Myself (FT student) Husband...
Household includes:
Myself (FT student)
Husband (FT employed)
Adult daughter w son born in 2015 (less than $3000 gross income for her)
Adult son (less than $5000 gross income for him)
10 yr old daughter
Our adult children cannot file on their own based upon income level but are a significant expense to us. How can we include them and our grandson as dependents because they are?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/5/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist.

Adult children over 18 typically must be in full time post-secondary education (i.e. college) to be considered dependents. There is another classification that might get it done for you:

A qualifying relative can be over 18, and as long as you pay more than half their support, they can qualify as exemptions. The income limit is more restrictive, $3,650 for 2015, but this group does allow for some additional tax deductions. If any of your children or grandchildren qualify, things like their medical costs can be deducted as well.

There are special rules for the tests, and the following is a link to the IRS publication you can use to determine if each qualifies for this grouping. Find the publication at: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2015_publink1000220939 and look for qualifying relative.

Thanks for asking at just Answer. Please rate my assistance, so that site management credits me with assisting today. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax