How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4517
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Household includes: Myself (FT student) Husband (FT

Customer Question

Household includes:
Myself (FT student)
Husband (FT employed)
Adult daughter w son born in 2015 (less than $3000 gross income for her)
Adult son (less than $5000 gross income for him)
10 yr old daughter
Our adult children cannot file on their own based upon income level but are a significant expense to us. How can we include them and our grandson as dependents because they are?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist.

Adult children over 18 typically must be in full time post-secondary education (i.e. college) to be considered dependents. There is another classification that might get it done for you:

A qualifying relative can be over 18, and as long as you pay more than half their support, they can qualify as exemptions. The income limit is more restrictive, $3,650 for 2015, but this group does allow for some additional tax deductions. If any of your children or grandchildren qualify, things like their medical costs can be deducted as well.

There are special rules for the tests, and the following is a link to the IRS publication you can use to determine if each qualifies for this grouping. Find the publication at: and look for qualifying relative.

Thanks for asking at just Answer. Please rate my assistance, so that site management credits me with assisting today. I'm PDtax.