Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I cashed $24k of investments. I own my home, but have no…

Customer Question
I cashed $24k of investments...
I cashed $24k of investments. I own my home, but have no income. I am 70 years old. Am I liable for taxes, and how much?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/5/2016
Tax Professional: Mark D, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent

Hello, where these IRA or 401K funds, or investments sold outside of an IRA or 401K?

I'm not sure. I have very little experience with investments of this type. All I know is that the BP portfolio has been in the family for about 100 years. The Putnam Investments portfolio was opened in 1975 or 1976 to provide extra income. But neither of these was an IRA or 401K, that I know of.