How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I report on the tax returns when I received a 1099-R

Customer Question

How can I report on the tax returns when I received a 1099-R from US bank which says the total amount is taxable though I withdrew from that bank and invested in another bank as the same simple IRA.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you made qualified rollover - means you reinvested the money within 60 days after the distribution - that amount is not taxable.

The distribution is reported on form 1099R and rollover contribution is reported on form 5498.

The IRS will have both forms as well and will match amounts distributed and contributed.

For instance - if you distributed $5000 and rolled over the full distributed amount - you will report on form 1040 - line 15a = $5000 and line 15b=zero - so none will be included into taxable income.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.