Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Our organization would like to convert our nonprofit

Customer Question
organization from 501c4 to 501c3...
Our organization would like to convert our nonprofit organization from 501c4 to 501c3. We submitted paperwork asking to be a 501c4 which we should have submitted paperwork for the 501c3. We haven't received our tax exempt status yet which we submitted in August of 2015. What steps do we take?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/5/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

According to the IRS

If you submitted an application on Form 1023, 1024, 8940 or by letter request, you can expect to be contacted within 180 days from the date you submitted the application.

After 180 days, if you haven't been contacted, you can call the toll-free Customer Account Services number, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (local time), at _877_829_5500_ to check on the status.

You will need the following information when calling:

Your name

Your employer identification number (EIN)

A proper power of attorney submitted with your exemption application, unless you are an officer or director and legally authorized to represent the applicant.

.

My question was what steps do we take to convert our 501c4 status to 501c3 status?

There is no conversion procedure.

You would need to submit a new application for 501c3 status.

My impression was that you submitted such application - but if not - you might want to prepare your application now.

We may review step-by-step application process here

https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Application-Process

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor