How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson graduated gh school May, 2015 and joined army.

Customer Question

My grandson graduated high school May, 2015 and joined army. Now he is filing his tax return and learns one of parents has already claimed him on their return. Can he also claim himself?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


He would claim himself if he provided more support than the parent did.

For his parent to claim him as a QUALIFYING CHILD they would need to be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions.

  • Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply. Going off to the Army is not an exception
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents.

Maybe they claimed him as a QUALIFYING RELATIVE because of his age, if so they were not allowed if he earned $4000 or more.

After you go over the above with him, if the parent could not claim him then tell him to mail in his return claiming himself.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need me to clarify

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Checking back to see if you responded