Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My grandson graduated gh school May, 2015 and joined army.

Customer Question
My grandson graduated high school...
My grandson graduated high school May, 2015 and joined army. Now he is filing his tax return and learns one of parents has already claimed him on their return. Can he also claim himself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/5/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

He would claim himself if he provided more support than the parent did.

For his parent to claim him as a QUALIFYING CHILD they would need to be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions.

• Are they related to you? The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Do they meet the age requirement? Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Do they live with you? Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply. Going off to the Army is not an exception
  • Do you financially support them? Your child may have a job, but that job cannot provide more than half of her support.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This requirement commonly applies to children of divorced parents.

Maybe they claimed him as a QUALIFYING RELATIVE because of his age, if so they were not allowed if he earned $4000 or more.

After you go over the above with him, if the parent could not claim him then tell him to mail in his return claiming himself.

Let me know if you need me to clarify

Checking back to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4