Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I purchased a new Motor Home this past Spring and paid cash.

Customer Question
I purchased a new Motor...
I purchased a new Motor Home this past Spring and paid cash for it. Is the sales Tax I paid deductible on my 1040 Income tax form Schedule A?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/4/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Generally, you can deduct the actual state and local general sales taxes (including compensating use taxes) you paid in 2015 if the tax rate was the same as the general sales tax rate. However, sales taxes on food, clothing, medical supplies, and motor vehicles are deductible as a general sales tax even if the tax rate was less than the general sales tax rate.

If you paid sales tax on a motor vehicle at a rate higher than the general sales tax rate, you can deduct only the amount of tax that you would have paid at the general sales tax rate on that vehicle. Motor vehicles include cars, motorcycles, motor homes, recreational vehicles, sport utility vehicles, trucks, vans and off-road vehicles.

Report your sales tax deduction on Schedule A. In the section entitled "Taxes You Paid" be sure to check the box indicating your choice to deduct state sales tax instead of state income tax and enter the amount of your deduction.

Checking back with you

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4