How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15308
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Ex and I agreed in our custody agreement that we would

Customer Question

My Ex and I agreed in our custody agreement that we would alternate claiming our daughter as a dependent. I get odd numbered years and he gets even numbered years. Well my return was rejected because he claimed her for his 2015 taxes. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If the child lived with you all year and you were the custodial parent then mail in your return with the child listed. Attach a statement about your dependent being claimed by another and send a copy of all the following

Birth certificates or other official documents of birth, marriage certificates, letter from an authorized adoption agency, letter from the authorized placement agency, or applicable court document that verify your relationship to the child (send these documents only for a qualifying child who is not your natural or adopted child).

To show both you and your child lived together at the same address or addresses for more than half of 2015, send either:

School, medical, daycare, or social service records.

• A letter on the official letterhead from a school, medical provider, social service agency, or place of worship that shows names, common address and dates. (If you send a letter from a relative who provides your daycare, you MUST send at least one additional letter that provides proof.)

If you were not the custodial parent let me know.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information BUT if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need more info