How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an LLC taxes as an S corp. there were 2 owners at the

Customer Question

I have an LLC taxes as an S corp. there were 2 owners at the beginning of the year and 2 entered mid-year. Is there a way to allocate the income in 2 segments according to the days of ownership?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: LLC taxes as S corp. 2 owners 1/1- 7/12/15. 2 additional members entered the LLC on 7/13/15. We would like to allocated the income and expense for the period 7/1-7/12/15 to the original members and the income and expense from 7/13-12/31-15 to the 4 members.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Correct - all items reported on K1 must be allocated not only according to number of shares - but also according to the time shares were owned.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If S-corporation received its income evenly throughout the year - we may simply prorate income according to the time period and then according to number of shares owned during each period - and combine results on K1s.

If income was not received evenly - you might want to prepare internal tax return separately for each period and generate separate sets of K1s.

However for the filing - you will still use combined tax return for the whole tax year.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.