How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3471
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am single and claimed 2-allowances on my W-4, and always

Customer Question

I am single and claimed 2-allowances on my W-4, and always enjoyed a refund after filing my tax return. I have sold my house and will no longer have the benefit of the mortgage interest deduction, with that said how many allowances should I claim on my W-4 if I want to continue to have a refund?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

As you no longer have the mortgage interest deduction, you may not be receiving refunds in the future. However, you can claim 0 allowances, which means that they will withhold more. You can also request a certain additional amount be withheld from your paycheck. There is really no way of guaranteeing that you will receive a refund, even if you claim 0 allowances. You can always make estimated tax payments as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, a positive rating of 3 or more stars is appreciated so that I can receive credit for assisting you.