Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am single and claimed 2-allowances on my W-4, and always…

Customer Question
I am single and claimed...
I am single and claimed 2-allowances on my W-4, and always enjoyed a refund after filing my tax return. I have sold my house and will no longer have the benefit of the mortgage interest deduction, with that said how many allowances should I claim on my W-4 if I want to continue to have a refund?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/4/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

As you no longer have the mortgage interest deduction, you may not be receiving refunds in the future. However, you can claim 0 allowances, which means that they will withhold more. You can also request a certain additional amount be withheld from your paycheck. There is really no way of guaranteeing that you will receive a refund, even if you claim 0 allowances. You can always make estimated tax payments as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, a positive rating of 3 or more stars is appreciated so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant