Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I recently opened 4 accounts under the Uniform Gift to

Customer Question
Minors Act. The ages...
I recently opened 4 accounts under the Uniform Gift to Minors Act. The ages of the children are 9,7,3 and 3. My questions are:
1. How much dividend or capital gains must the account generate to generate filing with the IRS?
2. If a filing is generated, who does the filing and pays the tax?
3. As the custodian of the accounts could I file for the child and pay the tax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/4/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I assume that minors who legally own these accounts are dependents of their parent's tax returns.

Correspondingly - we need to consider filing requirements for dependents.

I also assume that will be ONLY income for children and that will be only unearned income. Unearned income includes income such as interest, dividends, and capital gains.

For 2015 - dependents must file a return if unearned income was more than $1,050.

If a dependent child must file an income tax return but can't file due to age or any other reason, a parent, guardian, or other legally responsible person must file it for the child. If the child can't sign the return, the parent or guardian must sign the child's name followed by the words “By (your signature), parent for minor child.”

Generally - that is a responsibility of parents.
the custodian of the accounts may prepare the tax return for the child If he/she is a parent, guardian, or other legally responsible person.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor