Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I want to use 457 funds to buy investment property. Is it…

Customer Question
I want to use 457...
I want to use 457 funds to buy investment property. Is it wise to roll it over into a self directed IRA and then use it to purchase property?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/4/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I love your question.

All of us are ultimately in charge of our finances. Most make their investments to be managed by others. If you are motivated and able to do it yourself, you should.

Self directed IRA accounts allow you to rollover your 457 balance and manage your investments yourself. Now as to the wisdom of being in charge. I don't think it's for everyone. It could be wise. Here are a few tests.

You have to be financially astute. That is, you should be able to decide about investment options and monitor your ultimate choices.

You should understand investment vehicles and have years of experience successfully managing investment money.

You should have access to a team of professional assistance, such as an attorney, CPA and financial advice to support your decisions.

You should have other assets building long term wealth for you. That's just so that you diversify to reduce your portfolio risk.

If you pass those tests, self directed investment might be for you.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.