Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Nguyen 2205-A gross receipts or sales issue, I got a 2205-A…

Customer Question
Nguyen 2205-A gross receipts...

Nguyen 2205-A gross receipts or sales issue

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I got a 2205-A from IRS asking for audit the issue on their letter is my Schedule C1- Gross receipts or sales I did tax myself that year and I wonder if this could be a red flag got 1099-K from creditcard processor around 600k filed a 1095 and issued back about 325k to contractors via 1099 MISC's

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/3/2016
Tax Professional: R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent

Nguyen:

Frequently an audit of this nature is triggered by a discrepancy between what you reported on your return and what third parties report on the 1099's sent to the IRS.

Sometimes this can be caused by duplicate reporting requirements, and other times it can be due to your accounting method. If the IRS receives 1099s totaling 1 million dollars paid to you and you report only 650,000 in gross sales, this would be a problem.

Certainly if you had 650K in payments reported to you from the credit card processor and you show on your return that you received only $500K in sales, this is a problem.

Be aware that once the IRS opens an audit case, almost every time they start probing into other areas of the tax return. They are not limited to auditing just the one item the letter mentions. For this reason, it is often wise to hire a representative who understands how to manage the examination.