How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife's ex took us to court to pay son's college. He

Customer Question

My wife's ex took us to court to pay for her son's college. He graduated two years ago. The court granted the ex-husband 100250 from us. can we deduct that for tax purposes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Do not shoot the messenger but no. You can only deduct tuition if you paid it for a full time student in the current year. The tuition must be paid to the education institution and the student must be your dependent. To claim tuition expenses you would need 1098 tax form from college or school.