Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My name is ***** *****. I just received notice from IRS that…

Customer Question
Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is ***** *****. I just received notice from IRS that Lina Benefit Payments Inc sent them a W2 indicating $5,801.00 as income for me for 2014

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was on Cigna disability through my employer at that time, on my W2 Box 12b shows DD $10,347.20. It also shows pre-tax medical plan. The IRS is now indicating I OWE almost $1,000.00 in tax and penalties based on the W2 received from Lina I never received any W2 from them, have never received any additional tax responsibility on disability benefits.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The question would be - did you actually receive disability benefits from that company?
If yes - who paid for the disability insurance - you with after tax money or your employer?

I received disability benefits from CIGNA, my employer paid for the disability insurance
From the google searches I've done, it appears LINA is somehow affiliated with CIGNA. My payments (short term disability) came directly from CIGNA - I never had any dealings with LINA

W2 Box 12b shows DD $10,347.20 report the amount your employer paid for your medical insurance - that amount is not reported on your tax return - and is for your information only.

Regarding disability benefits

If you retired on disability, you must include in income any disability pension you receive under a plan that is paid for by your employer. You must report your taxable disability payments as wages on line 7 of Form 1040 or Form 1040A until you reach minimum retirement age. Minimum retirement age generally is the age at which you can first receive a pension or annuity if you are not disabled.

Generally - such payments are reported on W2 as third party payments - subject to income tax -but not subject to social security and Medicare taxes.

Life Insurance Company of North America (LINA) is a separate company but it belong to the same group as GIGNA - so they might share responsibilities - but it looks as your income is taxable.

I am not clear why you did not receive W2 from that third party... - that is a separate issues.

Because of that you might ant to ask the IRS to drop possible late payment penalties.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.