How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29799
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We issued a bonus to an employee last year and gave m a 1099

Customer Question

Hello, My name is A ***** *****, and we issued a bonus to an employee last year and gave him a 1099 miscellaneous. His tax advisor told him that we should've checked off on box 3 (not 7) in order for him to not have to pay self employment tax on it. I'm not so certain she is correct. how do I rectify this if it needs to be done?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm sorry, what other information would you like?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If the person is your employee - the bonus is classified as wages and MUST be reported on W2 form.
Reporting the bonus on form 1099misc is not correct - regardless in which box it is reported.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Here are specific instructions from form 1099misc - see page 8 - right column

Payments not reported in box 7. Do not report in box 7:

an employee's wages, travel or auto allowance, or bonuses and prizes (report on Form W-2);


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.