Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I reeived a Form 1099C, cancellation of debt. I need to know

Customer Question
if it must be added...
I reeived a Form 1099C, cancellation of debt. I need to know if it must be added it to my income. I also need to know if the money has already been taxed since the overpayment has been over a period of 21 years
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Please verify on form 1099C box 5 - if your were personally liable?
Then - is that debt related to your personal home?
And finally please clarify hwy do you thin that is "over-payment"

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Box 5 is checked. The form indicates that it was an overpayment. It is not related to my home.

If that is over-payment refunded to you - means you are paid back amounts which you previously paid to them - we should NOT have form 1099C.
I suggest immediately contact the sender and request corrections.

Be sure to keep track of all your communications - because if they refuse - you will need to provide adequate explanation to the IRS and will need to tell what steps you make to resolve the issue.

When you communicate I suggest to do both - send them a letter (via certified mail) and contact over the phone.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor