Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Is my Service dog's care (vet, food, water, etc) tax

Customer Question

Is my Service dog's care (vet, food, water, etc) tax deductible? I have an Emotional Support Animal which was recommended by my psychiatrist. Would it's care be tax deductible?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Schedule A under medical expenses is where this would be deducted as long as the service animal is for a physical condition but a mental illness would also be under this.

It must be “primarily for medical care to alleviate a mental defect or illness,” and would not have paid the expenses but for the disease or illness, the costs of buying, training, and maintaining the animal “may qualify as medical care,” i.e., may be deductible.

You can include in medical expenses the costs of buying, training, and maintaining a guide dog or other service animal to assist a visually impaired or hearing disabled person, or a person with other physical disabilities. In general, this includes any costs, such as food, grooming, and veterinary care, incurred in maintaining the health and vitality of the service animal so that it may perform its duties.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need clarification.