Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My mother recently passed away, she had investments such as…

Customer Question
My mother recently passed away...
My mother recently passed away, she had investments such as annuities and I live in California, she lived in Nevada. We are not going to have a huge income bracket for last year, the amount in the $90k range, what percentage am I looking at paying for taxes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Because you are a resident of California - you will be subject to both - federal and California income taxes.
Assuming you are single - with gross $90 income - you likely will be in 25% tax bracket - for taxable income between $37,450 to $90,750.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/2015-tax-brackets

For California income tax purposes - you will be in 9.3% tax bracket for taxable income between 51,530 to $263,222

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2015_California_Tax_Rates_and_Exemptions.shtml

Questions?

Is that taxes with no writeoffs? If I had expenses and that was my only income am I still taxed that full amount? In other words is it set to be paid no matter what?

Based on your original post - my understanding was that you already determined gross taxable income as $90k - if that is not correct - and you need help with THAT determination - I would be glad to help.
If you provide more detailed information about each item your inherited - I will help you with determination.

Regarding your deductible expenses - just list all your expenses - and I will help to verify which are eligible for deduction.

Alos - if you have any other income - we need to know that as well as your filing status.