Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son and I are receiving survivor benefits from Social…

Customer Question
My son and I are...
My son and I are receiving survivor benefits from Social Security. Is this taxable?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

SS is not taxable by itself. If you had other income then some of the SS could be taxable. You do not add your amount and your son's together.

Just look at your SS and to half of that add any other income you received in the year. If that amount is $25000 or more then some of your SS could be taxable.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Please let me know if you need more information

Checking back to see if you responded

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4