Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am 70 years old and receive social security benefits (No…

Customer Question
I am 70 years old...
I am 70 years old and receive social security benefits (No medicare payments). I an still working and my employer is contributing to an HSA. I did not know this. Now, I think I have a tax problem. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

To be an eligible individual and qualify for an HSA - you must be covered under a high deductible health plan (HDHP) and you are not enrolled in Medicare.

If you are enrolled in Medicare - beginning with the first month you are enrolled in Medicare, your contribution limit is
zero.

If you are not eligible for HSA - that means - you have excess contributions if the contributions to your HSA for the year are greater than the limits.

.

You may withdraw some or all of the excess contributions and not pay the excise tax on the amount withdrawn if you meet the following conditions.
--You withdraw the excess contributions by the due date, including extensions, of your tax return for the year the contributions were made.
--You withdraw any income earned on the withdrawn contributions and include the earnings in “Other income” on your tax return for the year you withdraw the contributions and earnings.

.

Generally, you must pay a 6% excise tax on excess contributions. See Form 5329, Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans (including IRAs) and Other Tax-Favored Accounts, to figure the excise tax. The excise tax applies to each tax year the excess contribution remains in the account.

That form is attached to your tax return.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor