How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15729
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a restitution payment from a payday loan company

Customer Question

I received a restitution payment from a payday loan company and want to know if I have to pay taxes on the restitution payment I received. My original loan was $5000.00 and I received a restitution payment of $62,000 back. Do I have to pay taxes on the whole amount?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The part of the payment above your original loan amount would be taxable if you paid back the loan or the $5000 originally borrowed. You may claim attorney fees on Schedule A that you paid to receive this taxable income.

Generally unless the payment was for physical injury it is taxable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robin, this settlement money was a result of wrongful act. They were caught with 400% interest on the loans. I did not pay the loan off because we were instructed by the WV attorney general to stop paying on the loans because of the excess interest. Doesn't this mean that the other party (Cash Call) committed a wrongful act? Wouldn't this money be tax-free based on this?Thank you.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Settlements are only nontaxable when the "wrongful act" causes physical injury. In physical injury settlement the award is not taxable.

This was under usury laws (where too excessive interest is charged).

Unless physically injury is involved or your were paid to reimburse you for loss of value in property, tha amount is taxable.

IRC § 104