Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

North carolina new sales tax due i have to pay sales tax to…

Customer Question
north carolina new sales tax...
north carolina new sales tax due i have to pay sales tax to piano tuner
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2016
Tax Professional: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thanks for your question - if the tuner is purchased for resale, no -- if you're the end user of the tuner, then yes.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

A person whose only business activity is providing repair, maintenance, and installation services, where the person’s activities do not otherwise meet the definition of “retail trade,” is not a retailer and is not liable for sales or use tax on the sales price of or gross receipts derived from repair, maintenance and installations services on or after March 1, 2016.

Those that tune pianos or other musical instruments are considered offering repair, maintenance and installation services.

A person who is a retailer-contractor prior to March 1, 2016 may be liable for sales or use tax on the sales price of or gross receipts derived from repair, maintenance and installation services on or after March 1, 2016 if the revenue from retail sales is the majority of the person’s revenue.

The sales tax on having your piano tuned depends on who tuned it.

Hello, just checking back to see if you responded.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4