How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need help with how to handle the sale of rental property,

Customer Question

Hi. I'm Brigitte. I need help with how to handle the sale of rental property, sold at less than original purchase price.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. My issue is not common. This was property that was owned by my ex-husband and me. Divorce was Dec. 2005. All these years, he has been the one handling the property, receiving rent, depreciating.... I haven't even listed it in all those years. But now, with the sale, I received 45% of the amount, which was $143,000. 45% of the purchase price years ago was $176,400.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Because the property was rented - we also need to know the amount of accumulated depreciation.

Also please clarify why did you receive 45% of proceeds and not 50% as I assume you were equal co-owners?

We need to know - the sale price and selling expenses as well.