How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3375
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Parents paying care expenses while taking care of daughters

Customer Question

parents paying for Child care expenses while taking care of daughters children while she goes to college, is there any way to get any of this money back from the taxes we pay"
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your tax question today.

If I understand your question, you are asking if you can take a deduction for paying for your grandchild's day care so that your dependent child can attend school, is that correct?

If so, then the credits for Dependent Care are limited to 1) your own dependents, and 2) dependent care if both the taxpayer AND spouse are working. If another dependent is also working or attending school, this has no effect on allowing the credit.

In this case, if you and your spouse are working AND the grandchild is listed as a dependent on YOUR tax return, then you wouldd be eligible for dependent care credit on Form 2441.

If this response answers your question today, please take a moment to provide a positive rating as it is how the experts are paid for their time in assisting you today. Please feel free to post any follow up questions and I will respond as soon as I am able.

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter is not a dependent she is 27 years old
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure I understand your situation then.

Is your daughter working? Is she married or single?