Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a payment damage from my ex employer. As a result…

Customer Question
hi I received a payment for...
hi
I received a payment for emotional damage from my ex employer. As a result of harassment during my pregnancy I had a miscarriage, then as a result of the miscarriage I had scared tissue in my uterus that cause to bleed out when I finally gave birth and almost lost my life. I can now never be pregnant again without potentially dying.
Now for that reason I was awarded emotional damage during a settlment.
Now my problem is how to file it on my taxes as Income or as none income.
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/29/2016
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax.

The injury settlement will be tax free unless you deducted any of the medical expenses you incurred.

Your case is indirect medical, so I went to review the tax treatment.

"A personal injury settlement with a monetary award based partially on emotional distress or mental anguishmay be tax-free. If the emotional distress or mental anguish is directly related to a physical injury or physical sickness, it is considered "medical" and, therefore, non-taxable."

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/personal-injury/settlement-tax-liability.html is the cite for that quote.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Please rate my assistance using the rating scale below. I'm PDtax.