How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last year I sold common stock I had obtained in the stock

Customer Question

Last year I sold common stock I had obtained in the stock purchasing program at a former employer. I received a Form 1099-B Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions for the sale with my 1099-DIV tax forms, but I am unsure if i need to include this as income in my return or where to include.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Yes - both information must be included into your tax return.
Dividends are reported on from 1040 lines 9a and 9b.

The sale transaction is reported on form 8949 - depending how long shares were held - short term or long term.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Gross proceeds from form 1099B is your sale price.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You would need to know your basis.

It might be reported by your broker on form 1099B and partially might be reported on W2 form box 12 with code "L"

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.



I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.