Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Last year I sold common stock I had obtained in the stock

Customer Question
purchasing program at a former...
Last year I sold common stock I had obtained in the stock purchasing program at a former employer. I received a Form 1099-B Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions for the sale with my 1099-DIV tax forms, but I am unsure if i need to include this as income in my return or where to include.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/29/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - both information must be included into your tax return.
Dividends are reported on from 1040 lines 9a and 9b.

The sale transaction is reported on form 8949 - depending how long shares were held - short term or long term.

Gross proceeds from form 1099B is your sale price.

You would need to know your basis.

It might be reported by your broker on form 1099B and partially might be reported on W2 form box 12 with code "L"

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

.

Otherwise...

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor