Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I withdrew $140K from my IRA to start a small business in…

Customer Question
I withdrew $140K from my...
I withdrew $140K from my IRA to start a small business in Jan 2015, i did not pay taxes upfront, is there a way to defer taxes owed due to small business start up
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
2/29/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There is was a way to continue deferring the tax liability as long as the money are in the IRA account.

As soon as funds are distributed - income is recognized fro tax purposes - and reported on your tax return.

There is no additional deferral option regardless how the money are used.

But depending on your business expenses - you might be eligible to deduct some of these expenses as soon as your business already started.

If these are startup expenses - they are capitalized - and you only start deductions after the business started.

Please communicate back if you have any specific expenses which you are not sure where or how to deduct.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.