Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I purchased stock options in a privately held company, when

Customer Question
the company was sold it...
I purchased stock options in a privately held company, when the company was sold it was a loss. Received paper work from the companies attorney but no 1099. Can I still claim the loss on my 2015 taxes and do so electronically?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No, that's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/29/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Yes you can claim a loss on the shares if this was an all cash buyout. You would report that on 8949 and of course any loss will first be used against gains then against other income (limit up to $3000) and then carried forward.

You should be able to still e-file your return.

When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.
You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4