How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ours is a company set up in Texas with foreign shareholders

Customer Question

Ours is a company set up in Texas with foreign shareholders and no employees and no office in Texas - we have appointed a firm as organiser in New York and obtained IRS registration in Newyork - however we have inventory lying in a storage company in Houston - are we liable to inventory tax in Texas
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: We are using the organiser's address as office address / mail forwarding address and we have opened a bank account in New York. However we have imported goods into Houston and sold to some companies in Houston - remaining stocks are lying in Texas.
JA: Tell me more about your problem so I can decide what kind of lawyer you need. I'm sorry I'm feeling very dense today, I just don't understand what variety of lawyer you are looking for. Could you please name the kind of lawyer you want to see?
Customer: A lawyer who knows Inventory tax levied in Texas
JA: I'm sorry. I just don't know enough law. I'll have to hand you off to a general lawyer.
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. I'm a CPA, and this is a tax question -- which is why you were routed to me.

Anyways - if your stock is physically in Texas, unfortunately you are subject to inventory tax in that state. They require you to pay tax on any stock that is physically in the state of Texas. I wish I had better news for you.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.